Archive for category Racism
Code talk and behaviour! They’ve now made a scholarly discipline out of it. Some of my Favs! Firstly, what are some of these codes? Code is the everyday bombardment experienced by black people in their respective countries. It may vary according to the area which one resides of course. In a nutshell, they are the slight, everyday indignities perpetrated on blacks and other racialized people. However, blacks tend to be their favourite targets. Hence, I will concentrate on my own fellow black folk. There are several kind of micro aggressions that scholars have lent scholarly terms to. Here are some!
1. The macro-assaults which are patently obvious or should be, such as being called nigger, spook, porch monkey(I have been referred to by these names at certain times in my life). A couple of others would be passing a black person on the street and crossing to the other side, or ignoring them when they walk into a store whilst waiting on others who come after. The last two would be of the non-communicative sort. You are constantly subjected to racist images via the media. Most of these images are based on racial stereotypes regardless of their intent; these stereotypes can run the gamut from the blatantly racist to the seemingly benign. A current prime example of blatancy, would be the clown who festooned his restaurant in Hamilton Ontario, Canada with a Confederate flag. The name of this ‘five star’ restaurant is ‘Hillbilly Heaven’. http://www.cbc.ca/hamilton/news/story/2013/03/04/hamilton-hillbilly-heaven.html.
2. The micro-insult. Ever been asked why you don’t try for a promotion? When you ask the white person why they are asking you this, you are told that ‘you are black and a woman, a double whammy of a shoo in to get the job’. There is never any mention made of any qualifications or interpersonal skills you may possess. Another favourite is being told you speak ‘good’ English despite having the same accent as the person telling you this. Another one I am particularly fond of is calling you by another black person’s name because they either don’t remember your name and hope you will correct them, or think all black people look alike, take your pick.
3. The micro invalidations such as being asked where you are from despite the fact that your family may have been here for generations. These observations are based solely on your outward appearance. You are asked constantly your ‘country’ of origin despite your accent being indistinguishable from that of the inquirer. This is similar to being complimented on your’good’ English, but encompasses you origins as well, I guess they are intertwined! They see that you are black and therefore assume you ‘ain’t from here’. When other blacks ask you this they are seeking some commonality in regards to culture etc. When a white person asks, you are being subtly informed that you don’t belong ‘here’, or, depending on the context, you should be grateful to be here.
The danger of the more subtle forms of racism is that the person being subjected to this behaviour may not be aware of it. They may sense something is wrong, but can’t quite put their ‘finger on it’, as this may involve second guessing the person perpetrating the behaviours. The blatant behaviour, because it is blatant and obvious, can be dealt with head on if one is so inclined(depends on the person obviously). White folks, who perceive themselves as being basically ‘good and ‘decent human beings’ become upset when their behaviour is pointed out to them. White supremacy is so inherent in societies that they deny or are supposedly unaware of their racism. After all, they send money to places like Haiti and the country of ‘Africa’ don’t they?
One may ask what some of the deleterious effects of theses seemingly banal forms of racism. For the unsuspecting for example, it can cause spiritual, mental and physical health concerns whilst being bombarded on a daily basis with these assaults. Personally, I have come to prefer the blatant racist as I know where they stand and they are comical if they do not resort to violence. They are also stupid to the point that other whites don’t like them despite the fact that they make them feel good as they are not like these ‘losers'(the blatant racists). They are an embarrassment to the ‘regular’ whites as they are an extreme manifestation of the racism whites harbour. In the ‘old days’ this type of aversive racism was referred to as talking and acting in ‘code’. The ‘professionals’ became aware of this prevalent behaviour and put ‘scholarly’ names and began trying to ‘define’ code and its’ accompanying results. Folks, there is nothing new under the sun! Folks, racism is supposed white superiority versus supposed black inferiority. Blacks cannot be racist as any striking out is a reaction to white supremacy. Terminology can be affixed to any type of mode of speech or behaviour. Simple is best! Racism due to the prevalent white supremacy, is for the most part banal, for whites. Wake up folks!!!!!
I was reading a blog post from Sepultura13:http://sepultura13.wordpress.com/2012/12/27/mental-illness-black-white/ . In this post she discusses mental illness and the disparities in perceptions when it comes to white loons and black loons. I thought I would add my own two cents as a sort of footnote, but also some advice! Fasten your seatbelts because it ain’t pretty, when was mental illness ever so?
Many Black folk who suffer from mental illness I suspect, do so mostly as a result of racism which may be internalized and manifests accordingly. When these white, murderous spree killers, mass murderers and other assorted evil assholes do what they do best, they are given labels which basically characterizes them as anomalies, that is, something external caused them to be like this. If a black person does any of these things, there is something inherently wrong with them or by extension their communities. Because of these disparate views, whites blame external forces, whilst blacks internalize hatred and lash out in many instances against each other. Internalized racism can manifests itself in many ways from something seemingly innocuous, to violent acting out against other black folk. This is where self-awareness comes in to play as a remedy(not a cure if you are actually suffering from a mental illness) against such. Self knowledge goes a long way in preventing many of the ills down the road of life, the name of the game being prevention. The more knowledge you acquire about yourself, your history, background, society and how it works in general, the better prepared you will be in navigating society’s white supremacy. I always half-jokingly say I am glad I grew among mostly whites, as it prepared me and set me on the road to acquiring knowledge at an early age. I learned early what day it was. As I got older, I learned the intricacies and complexities of racism and was able to put a name to racist modes of behaviour.
Hate is all too easy – that is woefully apparent on the interwebs.
Yes, that is an understatement! But then again, people hate what they fear. This can paralyze people out of effecting any change. Hate does nothing. Action does! Don’t hate cogitate! Excessive negative emotions only serves to empower the ones evoking or wielding some sort of power over you. Take the tools that they put in place so that they can feel good about themselves(we are helping those coloureds!), and use them! Cull the wheat from the chaff, the crabs who want to cling to the other crabs in the barrel in regards to the kerchief heads. Let em! You only have control over yourself. Controlling other’s (unless they are into S&M, or your husband, just joking!), is a colossal waste of time. Once you realize this, you are half way there(wherever there is). You will meet other like minded persons along the way.
Mock the fools and don’t try and educate them in ‘niggerology’ when they ask you why black people do such and such. Tell them you don’t know every black person in the world or even in the area you live, so you can’t answer their stupid and racist questions. In fact, deride them for their ignorance by asking them why so many white men enjoy molesting children or some like question. The responses are hilarious. However, many are too stupid to correlate the stupidity and derailment of your response to their asinine question, so more comedy will ensue! After dropping this little morsel, leave and ignore them, don’t give them a chane to bring up up stupid racist questions or make statements about black criminals for instance, or some other racist argument. Oh, and try to do this with a straight face(I get a good laugh out of these types of fools). They are not really interested in what you have to say, they just want to reinforce whatever racist stereotype they have. They can use what the black person says to ‘educate’ their white friends using you as their barometer. Many black people fall for this. Many black folk delight in having this opportunity to enlighten these white folks, as they think they are perhaps, making them less ‘racist’ by doing so, or, maybe they are so starved for attention from these whites, who knows? Who gives a shit? Keep walking. They can educate themselves the same way I did when I had to learn about my history on my own. The schools sure as fuck didn’t. They still don’t, teachers I know will attest to this!! (that’s another post!)
If you or anyone you know suffers from any form of mental illness such as depression, get help in whatever form. Mental Illness should not be tabooed or seen solely as a ‘white’ thing, regardless of the racist perception of blacks and mental illness. If you find yourself constantly in a state of anger, meditate and educate yourself and confront and speak to what is angering you, to hell with naysayers. People will either respect you or give you a wide berth, the wide berth being preferable especially when you are dealing with assholes. The dumb can remain dumb as it is energy draining to try to educate them which is something they can do themselves.
Anywho, that’s all for now! Happy New Years!!!!
Folk(s), here’s an update. My human rights case is moving along. I, however, do not have the time to write as much as I would like to, due to these malfeasants and having to concentrate on my case. From the start, I have had little or no assistance from anyone including lawyers or other experts, never mind the people I work with. Despite the fact that I have not had much assistance, I have managed to come thus far on my steam. If I did not have an inkling as to how white supremacy works, I would be in big trouble both mentally and physically as it takes a toll. Being stubborn and contrarian helps also, in other words, don’t take any shit! I have had a few rough patches, but through meditation and prayers to a higher being, I have managed to come through. Prayers do work, don’t laugh! I swear like a trooper, but I am a spiritual person. Seeing the absurdity in things and laughing helps immensely and believe me there is absurdities to spare and then some. The little support I have had comes from a very few, but valuable for all its’ sparsity. Many are afraid. When one is backed into a corner, one must come out swinging. Running and hiding does nothing but exacerbate the situation. With fear and apathy, whatever you would wish to characterize it as, comes shame and defeat with the resultant side effects such as physical and, or, mental health. As of now, I have been assigned a lawyer to help me with my case and other good things have occurred!
There is an old saying by Joe Louis, ‘You can run but you can’t hide’. Well I am not running! I will see this to the end regardless of the outcome. Pray to whatever supreme being you worship,
for me, the more the better! I wish to write more but as I say, I have to concentrate more on my case, this is but a blip on the radar! I enjoy writing and laughing at the same time so I guess I am half there. Remember, laughter is a panacea. Have a good day!
Hello or good day! Hernie here. I’ve noticed when perusing the internet that many other black folk have problems when dealing with white folk. First off let me start by saying that white folk do not give two shits about you unless iritated in some shape or form. That’s right, black people are irritants to them, a boil on their white bums as it were. Those of you that think that whites do are surely misguided. I grew up around these people for the first 10 years of my life, to the exclusion of other black people with the exception of family members and the odd ‘West Indian‘. I learned through experience how to deal with them as a result, this is but a preamble to future posts. For starters:
1. Listen to the stories your elders tell you about their own experiences with racism. Besides being fascinating, it will help you deal with the racist white folk you will meet throughout your life. They will, if you listen, tell you of the covert and obvious forms of racism they encountered in their lives. For example; My first encounter with racism was at three years old. I was going trick or treating with my mother. I was dressed up as a ‘calypso’ dancer. We came to this one house and when the white women opened the door, she beckoned to her husband to come and look at the cute little ‘nigger‘. My mother took me away from that house, quite angry with this woman, I believe she gave this woman an example of her cussing skills, being that young, I didn’t understand what she was saying. When I got home, I ran to my father and informed him that my mother got mad because the woman called me an ‘eagle’. Being three years old, that was the first encounter with racism that I remember, it was not to be my last!
2. What to do eh? The blatant racists are often funny in hindsight but not at the time you encounter them. Imagine the stress of having to navigate around them. But I am here to tell you it does not have to be so. Funnily enough, these are the easiest to deal with unless of course, they are violent. They are as dumb as fuck to start with and easily routed as a result. You can ignore them and walk away thereby depriving them of the pleasure of calling you a nigger or a spearchucker, among other names. This serves to deflate them as you are depriving them of this ego boosting pleasure. It may also enrage some as you are being uppity and may think you are better than them(you probably are). Watch out though, as they may resort to violence to teach you a ‘lesson’. You can, if you are in the mood, respond with like name calling and fisticuffs, thereby feeding into their pathology and providing them with the ego boost they crave. That’s right, feed into their low sense of worth by responding to them, as this is what makes them feel good about themselves. Ignoring them is the best way. However, when you are a kid, this may be hard to do. “If in doubt, punch them out’, was my motto as a kid. However, you can not keep doing this, especially as an adult, or you may land your behind in jail or get charged with assault in the least! The blatant racist is a dumb fucker and not worth your time or energy. Step, plain and simple.3. The ‘colour blind’ racist. Folks, the truth will always out with these miscreants. They are dangerous as they are insidious in their approach. They will try to minimize your experience with racism, because they are not ‘racist’, it is all in your head. Folks you may begin to believe this is you don’t know the signs! Learn the signs! If you don’t know how to identify the signs you will be adversely affected! In some instances the effects can be catastrophic! Other posts to come on this, I am hungry and tired.
I am tired so will post more advice when I’m not. Believe me, this topic is seemingly infinite in its’ scope and persistance. This is but an introduction, more to come! Carry on! Oh, try to study; critical race theory. for starters, the definition;
CRT recognizes that racism is engrained [sic] in the fabric and system of the American society. The individual racist need not exist to note that institutional racism is pervasive in the dominant culture. This is the analytical lens that CRT uses in examining existing power structures. CRT identifies that these power structures are based on white privilege and white supremacy, which perpetuates the marginalization of people of color.
courtesy of the UCLA School of Public Affairs.
A message from Mikey: